From: Rupert Swarbrick (rupert.swarbrick_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-23 12:26:23

Christoph Duelli wrote:
> Is it possible to configure Boost so that the library files built (linux,
> gcc 4.1) are *not* named like
>

> My problem:
> Boost 1.33.1 libs are a.t.m. named like
> libboost_regex-gcc.so
> Boost 1.34.0 libs are now named like
> libboost_regex-gcc41.so
> Consequently, my makefile that contain lines like
> -lboost_regex-gcc
> do not work with 1.34. If I 'fix' them for 1.34 my other machines (and
> colleagues) will be in trouble til they switch to 1.34 as well.
>
> Question:
> Is it possible to build boost (or write my makefiles) in a way so that my
> projects build with both Boost 1.33.1, 1.34 and so on (whatever is
> present)? Is there a standard or best practice for that?

The boost macros at the autoconf library are pretty good if you're using
autoconf: http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/.

I had to add one case to AX_BOOST_FILESYSTEM to cope with 1.34 in the
line that starts "for ax_lib in... ", so I expect that will be true for
the other libraries too, but at least it has the logic to look for
something that works!

Rupert