From: Roger Leigh (rleigh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-15 18:31:18

frederic.bron_at_[hidden] writes:

> Just add the following on the bjam command line: --layout=system

While this solves the library naming issue on the developer's system,
it does not address the problem of someone else compiling the code on
their system. In this case the user's self-compiled or
distributor-provided version will most likely not have used this
option, and the developer will have no prior knowledge of the
toolchain in use (as I described in my earlier post).

This is a very important use-case which desperately needs a reliable
solution, such as pkg-config support. Otherwise, free
software/open-source software has a terrible time trying to link to
Boost libraries.

Regards,
Roger

--