From: Niko Vuokko (niko.vuokko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-17 15:32:45

Vladimir Prus wrote:

> You better avoid calling ld directly, unless you're certified ld guru.
> Use g++ instead.

Dude, I feel like a massive idiot right now. At first I had tried to use g++
like:

g++ <objs> -Wl,-Bstatic,-libboost_regex-s,... -o prog

but it didn't work out so I tried to give the commands straight to ld. I
picked up that -Wl,-Bstatic from some group. I was just amazed that none of
the programming courses I've been to have ever said half a word about
linking and all its possibilities.

I now tried to dump that -Wl,-Bstatic because it gets sent to ld:

g++ <objs> -llibboost_regex-s ... -o prog

and it just worked. Thanks for that ld -> g++ tip, I'm just embarrassed I
didn't try that earlier.

By the way, do you know any good books or sites where I could read about
object file structures, linking and all that? Something more extensive than
just a short tutorial would be nice. (Yes, it's offtopic, but you're
probably reading this anyway and seem to know these things.)

niko