From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-17 15:44:07

Niko Vuokko wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>
>> You better avoid calling ld directly, unless you're certified ld guru.
>> Use g++ instead.
>
> Dude, I feel like a massive idiot right now. At first I had tried to use
> g++ like:
>
> g++ <objs> -Wl,-Bstatic,-libboost_regex-s,... -o prog
>
> but it didn't work out

because I *think* you'd need two -Wl options to achieve that effect.

> so I tried to give the commands straight to ld. I
> picked up that -Wl,-Bstatic from some group. I was just amazed that none
> of the programming courses I've been to have ever said half a word about
> linking and all its possibilities.
>
> I now tried to dump that -Wl,-Bstatic because it gets sent to ld:
>
> g++ <objs> -llibboost_regex-s ... -o prog
>
> and it just worked. Thanks for that ld -> g++ tip, I'm just embarrassed I
> didn't try that earlier.
>
> By the way, do you know any good books or sites where I could read about
> object file structures, linking and all that? Something more extensive
> than just a short tutorial would be nice. (Yes, it's offtopic, but you're
> probably reading this anyway and seem to know these things.)

I'm afraid I don't know. On Unix, object files are in ELF format,
and you can read about it in System V ABI document:

        http://www.sco.com/developers/gabi/2003-12-17/contents.html

but it's not an introduction document, and is not oriented at end users,
more at folks who have a need to directly work with object files.

- Volodya