From: Jens Seidel (jensseidel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-10 06:23:25

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 06:38:53PM -0700, Michael Linck wrote:
> Jens, I appreciate your advice. Thank you for reminding me of the
> "rules." You have a valid point that I could have left a particular

thanks. Please note that I did not just addressed you but all people
which ignore the mailinglist rules and quote in an obscure way. I hope
these people profit from this mail as well.

> > Boost lists are for subscribers only. To subscribe you have nearly
> > always to read http://www.boost.org/more/discussion_policy.htm (links
> > from http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm). Did you forget about
> > all guidelines (which are bt obvious and also true for nearly all other
> > lists and also newsgroups, forums, ...).

[Let's not drop this from the mail so that other find it more easily.]

> Why should there only be one way to quote another's e-mail, much less to
> quote something from a website? I'm sorry if you didn't get the context

Indeed there may be some other possibilities. There are no very strict
rules but I have seen top posting in this thread (and in others) for a
too long time. The mail grew and was already very long. Nobody tried to
truncate it ...

Top posting e.g. just reverses the replies and is bad:

> Fine
> > Will do
> > > Please quote properly

> you got me. I was too lazy to delete it because I figured people would
> get what was going on there and stop reading anyway, so I wasn't really
> wasting anyone's time by not wasting my own.

I prefer to stop reading at the bottom of the mail so it would be nice
to see only short emails on lists :-)

> Since you like the standards, I'd like to point out one final thing:
>
> "In addition to technical skills, Boost members value collaboration,
> acknowledgement of the help of others, and a certain level of
> politeness." -- http://www.boost.org/more/discussion_policy.htm
>
> I think your use of profanity violates this rule, which I find pretty
> important.

Maybe. I will try my best to improve it.

Jens