From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-02 13:59:05

chris briscoe wrote:
> Hello- absolute beginner here.
> I have the latest (November version) of visual studio c++ 2008
> express.
>
> The header only version compiled fine. However the regex example
> fails with many unresolved external symbols.
>
> Do I need to build the libraries for this compiler? Or am I making
> some other booboo.

Yes you need to build the libraries for this compiler: see
http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started/windows.html

There aren't any pre-built binaries for VC2008 yet, but you should be able
to build from source OK. Also note that since VC2008 wasn't available when
Boost-1.34 was released, you will need to modify your user-config.jam to
tell bjam where to look for it, basically:

copy boost-root/tools/build/v2/user-config.jam to %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% or
%HOME% (echo these from the command prompt to check where these locations
are),

and then add the line:

using msvc : 9.0 : "c:/program files/microsoft visual studio
9.0/vc/bin/cl.exe" ;

adjusting the path as necessary, then you should be able to build from
Boost's root directory with:

bjam --with-regex stage msvc-9.0

Afterwards make sure the binaries are in your project's library-search-path
and hopefully everything should just work :-)

HTH, John.