From: Robert Dailey (rcdailey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-02 18:09:21

I can't really agree or disagree, as my information comes from an article I
read a long time ago. It stated that the portable way to assign NULL to a
pointer is to first cast it to the type of the lvalue. At the very least I
would expect (out of pessimism) SOME compiler in the world today to throw a
warning when it sees this:

class foo {};
foo* myfoo = 0;

However, I haven't personally tried this. In all honesty I don't see any
reason why the compiler would ever need to complain about this since I don't
foresee any problems with assigning an integral constant of 0 to pointer
types, or even using them during comparisons. However I guess if you guys
say that it is portable, I suppose I should just save myself some executable
size and avoid the use of nullptr. At this point the only real use I see in
a nullptr class/struct is for readability.

Where in the standard does it state that assigning an integral constant to a
pointer type is legal? Perhaps there is some more generic rule in the
standard to which this concept applies.