From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-04 04:44:51

Frank Mori Hess wrote:

> On Thursday 03 January 2008 12:43, j.c. wrote:
>> So the consensus here is to not use BOOST signals? I could implement
>
> Noone said that.
>
>> the calls another way that would not break when the application
>> becomes multithreaded, which is likely to happen at some point. I
>> would have to implement some sort of queue and lookup an id and then
>> via a pointer trigger the target function along with parameter. Also I
>> noticed that BOOST signals added a cool 300KB to my static lib,
>> strippable to 200KB, which I am not too happy about since this lib's
>> intentions was small size.

Ouch! Out of curiosity, does compiling with size optimization or
disabled inlining has noticable effect on this? In general, it seems
like code size was never much of concern inside boost.

> I would guess adding Qt would bloat your application even more, as Qt
> tends to be more "in for a penny, in for a pound" than boost libs.

This is random guess -- if you're really for smallest code size, just
grab static version of QtCore and see for yourself.

- Volodya