From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-04 14:24:37

chris briscoe wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks very much for responding.
> I have followed your instructions but so far can't get it to work.
>
> running bjam as below gives a message:
> msvc:9.0:C:/microsoft..../bin/cl.exe.jam: Invalid argument
> and :
> rule msvc:9.0:c:/micro..../cl.exe.init unknown in module toolset
> then appears to drop through with a number of in (various modules)
> messages.
>
> Would greatly appreciate your help.

Please post the complete error messages, plus your user-config.jam changes,
otherwise it's hard to say. However... at a guess it appears that there
isn't any whitespace between the arguments in your user-config.jam.
Unfortunately bjam insists on whitespace around separators like ":" so:

using msvc :9.0:path-to-cl;

will *not* work, but:

using msvc : 9.0 : path-to-cl ;

will.