From: Jonathan Turkanis (turkanis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-16 01:01:17

Chris Miller wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008 9:17 PM, Jonathan Turkanis <turkanis_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Chris Miller wrote:
>>> Why on earth I try and support Windows is beyond my comprehension.
>>> It's just something I do.
>>>
>>> I'm having some massive difficulties making Boost build with MinGW so
>>> I can start using it from Code::Blocks. I've tried using Boost's
>>> native Jam system, but first I have to build that.
>> You don't have to build it; you can download a pre-built binary:
>> http://tinyurl.com/2q36f.
>
> For MinGW/Windows Vista, which one would I pick?

I assume boost-jam-3.1.16-1-ntx86.zip

> I picked the
> "platform independent" one, which didn't work.

Needless to say, the platform independent download is not one of the
pre-built binaries.

>>> Any help here would be nice!
>> Have you tried:
>>
>> set PATH=<path to MinGW/bin>
>> build mingw
>>
>> ?
>
> That's not what the build instructions said. They said to use
> build.bat mingw, 'cause that's my toolkit. It kept trying it with
> MSVC for some odd reason.

It shouldn't matter which toolset you use to build bjam. The resulting
executable will still work with MinGW.

If you read Building Bjam
(http://www.boost.org/doc/html/jam/building.html), you will see that
running

  bjam <toolset-name>

requires that the compiler be in your PATH. In addition, I've found that
  having other compilers in my PATH sometimes confuses build.bat.

--
Jonathan Turkanis
CodeRage