From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-06 12:09:54

Ion Gaztañaga ha escrito:

> Hi to all,
>
> The Flyweight library submitted by Joaquín M. López Muñoz has been
> *accepted* into Boost. Thanks to all reviewers and all who contributed
> to the library before the review.
>
> We've received 10 reviews (Alberto Ganesh Barbati, David Sankel, John
> Reid, John Torjo, Kevin Scopp, Marcus Lindblom, Markus Werle, Matias
> Capeletto, Neil Hunt, Tim Blechmann), and all except Alberto's one were
> positive. Please, if I've missed a review, let me know.
>
> Joaquín agreed to address Alberto's comments (either with
> keyed_flyweight or by another method) and I like to encourage Joaquín
> and Alberto and the rest of the Boost community to improve the flyweight
> library to optimize and adapt it for situations like Alberto has
> described. I'm pretty sure that we'll reach an agreement.
>
> I'll have some time during the weekend to read all the reviews and write
> an small summary of requested changes, ideas, complaints, etc... to
> summarize the review process.
>
> Congratulations to Joaquín and thanks to all those who have participated
> in the review.

Hello, I'd like to thank Ion for managing the review and all the participants for their
valuable feedback. I'm looking forward to reading Ion's review summary later
this week.

During the review two important points have been raised, in particular
the use of read/write locks and the issue of "keyed" flyweights. It is my intention
to either include these features in a postreview version of Boost.Flyweight or,
at least, to show a sufficiently detailed design analysis that guarantees that
these issues can be tackled in the future in a satisfactory manner. When this
happens I'd be very grateful if those who participated in the current discussions
can once more contribute their feedback and insight.

In the meantime, I'd like to note that unfortunately none of the reviewers reported
using the library in a real scenario, and this is a feedback I crave to have. If you
happen to be able to plug Boost.Flywwight into some prorgam of yours please do so
and report your experience either privately or to the list.

Thank you,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo