From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-08 10:06:13

on Thu Feb 07 2008, "Robert Dailey" <rcdailey-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a game that currently integrates the python interpreter using the Python
> C API. I would like to expose various C++ interfaces & functions to python, but
> I want to do so without having to create a separate DLL, as state needs to be
> modified in the actual core engine of the game as the user calls C++ functions
> from Python.

That really doesn't have much bearing on whether your extension module
is in a DLL or not. You can always link your DLL extension module
directly to your application as well as letting Python load it.

> For example, say I have a C++ function called CompleteQuest(). In
> Python, we would script a quest for my game and at some point call
> CompleteQuest() from python. This should map directly to a function in the
> executable (game).
>
> Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

Yes, it's called "embedding Python;" see
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html

HTH,

--
Dave Abrahams