From: Ruediger Berlich (ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-15 12:32:27

Hi there,
first of all: thanks to all who have responded!

I understand that
a) using bjam with Eclipse is quite straight forward (I'll let you know
about my experiences)
b) some people do not quite like Boost.Build

As per the second point:
What *portable* build systems do critics of Boost.Build recommend and
(without wanting to start a flame-war), what problems should I expect if I
use Boost.Build anyway ?

My purpose here is: I want to release some code to the public under the GPL.
The initial user base will likely run Linux systems, but I hope that my
code is portable enough so that eventually someone, somewhere compiles it
on Windows. I already know that it runs on Macs. So I do not want to
introduce additional complications by using a non-portable build system.

Boost.Build certainly appears to be portable, and given that my code uses
Boost libraries in some places, it is the obvious choice. It certainly is
easier to use than the autobuild/libtool/make combo.

On a side note I noticed, that bjam is not installed by default (see my
corresponding post on the boost.build list) in 1.34.1. Why is this ?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ruediger