From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-20 05:24:01

Johan RÃ¥de wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> Johan RÃ¥de wrote:
>>
>>> Question 1: How do I specify that the build should use a dynamic CRT?
>>
>> In general, see answer to question 2. But dynamic CRT is used by default, anyway.
>>
>>> Question 2: Where do I find the answers to questions such a Question 1?
>>> The get started guide contains to little info, the reference manual too much.
>>
>> In Boost.Build documentation. Namely:
>> http://boost.org/boost-build2/doc/html/bbv2/advanced/builtins/features.html
>>

> Thank you Volodya.
>
> Two suggestions:
>
> 1. The above page does not give the default values of the features.
> This should be added.
>
> 2. I think the documentation of how to build Boost should be made more user-friendly.
> There is a gap between the Getting Started Guide and the Reference Manual that should be bridged.
> What is needed I think, is to expand the Getting Started Guide,
> and describe, with plenty of examples, how to make simple customizations of the build.
> Right now the Getting Started Guide only describes how to do a default build.

I don't think that adding that to Getting Started is necessary. Instead, it should say
have a link to a page describing general Boost.Build command line syntax, which in turn
can list a few common features.

There are some cleanups in getting started that I was meaning to suggest, but I
need to think more about those.

- Volodya