From: Daniel Lord (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-12 13:43:52

You went straight to 'sudo make install' without 'configure' and 'make'
first?
I don't know for certain what happened in your case, but I would not
recommend assuming any configuration in there after the unpack was suitable
for a platform and skip that step.

I usually run 'configure' to check that the 'darwin' system type is
recognized an all prerequisites are found. I also run 'make' separately from
'install' so I can run any check or test phases before installing.

That has saved me grief a few times with GMP (Gnu Multi-Precision library)
alone. GMP will appear to compile correctly with no errors and you'd think
you could just install it. Yet that build will fail significant tests. If
you blindly install, you'll have a flawed installation that will give bogus
calculation results. SInce I use GMP to generate prime pairs for asymmetric
encryption and quantitative finance calculations, among other things, that
would be very, very bad.

I would caution you to always 'configure', 'make', 'test/check, and only
then to 'install'. The time you save in the end chasing ghosts in your
machine will be worth it.