From: Michael Dickey (mike_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-03-20 20:32:33

Does anyone know if the fast_pool_allocator is supposed to work in a
multithreaded environment? I know that it is "thread-safe," but I'm
getting some really discouraging test results from it. Namely, using
fast_pool_allocator is consistently performing about 10 times SLOWER
for me than new/delete whenever multiple threads are involved. I've
tested and come up with the same results on three different platforms:
Mac, Linux and Windows (MSVC). I get the impression that I just need
to roll my own allocator if I'm using more than one thread, but I'm
hoping that this is not the case. If it helps, I can put together and
post some source code that demonstrates these results.

Thanks,
-Mike