From: Jens Seidel (jensseidel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-04 04:04:20

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:09:27PM -0700, Filip Peters wrote:
> Huh? I just got the whole trunk, and built it.
> Still the same problem: it can't read in std::vector<int> created with 1.34.1
>
> Anyway how would a fix in trunk help?
> -I can't use the released version 1.35, as it can't read in older files.

Right, this wouldn't help.

> -I can't use trunk in our program, only released/tested versions. I just tried

You mean it is your policy, right?

> compiling with trunk, seems there are some other issues in other libraries that
> would take some work. (something went missing in the signals library)

Have you reported these issues? Please remember that once you start
testing development versions, especially release snapshots, you could
ensure that such issues are fixed before the release!

Now imagine the serialisation issues will be fixed but you would still
fail to compile signals, it would not nice for you too, right?

I'm not sure but I think that even trunk code should *always* compile
cleanly. There may of course be problems with non conforming compilers
which are found later ...

> If you'd tell how you would fix it in the 1.35 version, I could use just that
> fix in our version, untill 1.35.1 or 1.36 comes out. Without ending up with our
> own branched version that's always incompatible with the released versions.

You could indeed add a local copy of boost to your source code. So you
would be on the save side. This is especially an option as Boost
guarantees no fixed API and ABI.

Please learn properly quoting and avoid top postings!

Jens