From: Jerry (jerry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-09 08:00:49

> Yes, but I am trying to serialize a char*, not a const char*. Is it possible?

Not directly. If you cannot reengineer the use of the char* do something like this: (apologies if you know this already)

// char* m_POD; a pointer to plain old char data
// size_t sizePOD; // how big is the POD data

//...
if (Archive::is_saving::value)
{
    // create a vector and fill with POD
   std::vector<char> vec(m_POD,m_POD+sizePOD);
    // now serialize
   ar & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(vec);
}
else if (Archive::is_loading::value)
{
 std::vector<char> vec;
 ar & BOOST_SERIALIZATION_NVP(vec);
 // now handle deallocation of existing POD
 // reallocation and copying from vec
 if (m_POD)
 {
  delete m_POD;