From: John Femiani (JOHN.FEMIANI_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-02 15:48:27

> I have worked on C++ for a long time in the past, but then I
stopped using C++ and
> moved to other languages like Java sheerly because I was facing
portability and
> repeatability issues with my programs. However, with the advent
of Boost, I am very
> excited to go back to C++ again.
> Ajay Gopalakrishnan.

I started using boost for the same reason, but I would not abondon
higher level languages either. C++ is great for some things, but for
other things it is the wrong tool for the job. I reccommend you
impliment the 'tools' where performance is important in C++, but you
make your integrated applications in higher level languages (like
python). You can use boost.python or swig (which I have used) to expose
your c++ code to languages like python or even Java. These langauges
currently make xml interfaces, web services, guis, etc. extremely simple
and easy.

Others here may disagree, but this is a pattern I (currently) find
works.

-- John Femiani