From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-05 15:51:16

Sorry for the late reply,

peter_foelsche_at_[hidden] wrote:

> I think this (synchronization) is overkill.
> Most people want memory mapped io to write/read from files.
> Synchronization is not necessary.
> Of course creating new elements in a readonly file would fail.

I've added read-only managed classes to my to-do list. The idea would be
to create both shared_memory_object/file_mapping/mapped_regions with
read-only attributes and avoid internal locking. I'm afraid this will
require some important refactoring because I'll need to avoid internal
locking calls in the segment manager placed in shared memory, without
storing a read-only bit in the segment manager (because it can be later
opened for read-write). I can't say when it would be ready, though.

> in a sparse file (the default on UNIXs) diskspace is only allocated when needed.

I'll also add this to my to-do list.

Thanks for your suggestions. If you have more, please let me know.

Regards,

Ion