From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-15 13:48:16

On May 12, 2008, at 1:37 PM, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Jeff Garland wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Tim St. Clair
>> <timothysc_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks -
>>>
>>> I've heard various mumblings from sources regarding the future of
>>> BJAM, and I would honestly like to know what the verdict is.
>>

>> Dave Abrahams suggested in the Future of Boost session that it
>> seems likely
>> Boost will move away from bjam at some future point.
>
> May I ask if this year, the presentation slides will be available to
> general public,
> or will remain available to only select few?

There are no slides for the Future of Boost sessions; it's run like a
panel, with each of the moderators present saying a few words about
their vision for the future of Boost, then lots of discussion with the
audience.

> If no, then I think any further discussion
> either on this list, or on boost-build mailing list, makes no sense.

Yes, any speculation is pointless. Several of us are working on a
CMake-based build system that will use Bitten for its regression-test
reporting. For the curious, there's information on the Boost Trac (and
a link to the newly-created mailing list) on this project here:

        http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CMake

We don't know what Boost will do with the result of this work, and
we're not going to guess. What we do know is that we plan to use
CMake's ability to build binary installers to try to simplify the
distribution of Boost for the major platforms (Windows, Mac). For most
end users, the best build system is no build system :)

        - Doug