From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-04 11:42:07

Joel Falcou wrote:
> Eric Niebler a écrit :
>> A very simple example is a lambda library with placeholders. Imagine you
>> wrote a transform that evaluated lambdas with arguments. When evaluating
>> a lambda expression such as (_1 + _2) with the arguments (3,4), you
>> might pass the arguments to the transform as a tuple in the Data
>> parameter (a.k.a Visitor). Then, when the transform has recursed to a
>> placeholder terminal, say _1, the result would be the 0th element in the
>> Data tuple.
>
> Doesn't this features make context obsolete ?
> I mean instead of using context to traverse the AST and performs
> evalmuations, oen can simply build a proper visitor and traverse the AST
> in a way simialr to a classic visitor pattern ?

Yes, in proto v4 contexts are not necessary. They can, in some
circumstances, be easier to work with then transforms, so I don't plan
to remove them. They may even be better at compile time.

>> I have reimplemented the Boost Lambda Library on top of proto using this
>> technique. You can find it here:
>
> I'll get a look. Seems alos that I missed the v4 branches.
> Is there large changes between this and the last proto zip that was
> available ont he vault ?

There are non-trivial changes, yes. Most significantly, the protocol for
implementing custom transforms has changed. Also, a bunch of functions
and types have been renamed as a result of review feedback.

> Two other questions :
> - why does trasnform apply deep copy onto terminals ?

Not sure what you mean. Can you give an example?

> - I'm currently using proto to implement some parallel programming
> library and I have to explain what I do with proto to people more used
> to the classic compilation/semantic vocabulary than to the proto idioms.
> in this context, is it correct to say that transforms are "semantic
> actions" applied onto the element of the AST ?

Absolutely. A proto transform *IS* a semantic action.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing