From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-05 08:32:54

Robert Ramey wrote:
> the portible binary archive was really made to illustrate how to create a
> new archive class from an existing one. It wasn't really the best example of
> this but it was written up and added to the documentation. It wasn't tested
> and had some bugs. When changes were made to binary archive- the portable
> binary archive broke. In the meantime, a user of serialization - Cadence
> Design of Israel - offered to fund the fixing up of this class and permit
> the updated version to be included in boost. This happened. They also
> tested it on a wider variety of platforms. So the one in the trunk is the
> one to use. It should compile with any version of boost. There is a tiny

Thanks Robert, we got the trunk version to compile/link/run on MSVC8 and
Mac XCode3 Intel & PowerPC with 1.34.1. Doing so required copying
boost_1_35_0 files: .../archive/shared_ptr.hpp and
.../archive/detail/register_archive.hpp. We placed the pb i/o archive
cpp's in our project code, which required adding a #include
<boost/version.hpp>.

It'd be nice to see this added as a standard archive.

Jeff Flinn