From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-05 15:04:01

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Frank Birbacher:
>> Robert Ramey schrieb:
>>> If someone really want's to make portable_binary_archive an
>>> "officially supported archive". Then some way of testing is
>>> required. This would require generating output on one platform and
>>> reading on another. This is
>>> something that I couldn't figure out how to make BJAM do.
>>
>> Well, you could just instead check whether the produced output is the
>> same everywhere. I thought of calculating the md5 sum and checking
>> against that. That would make a good unit test. Or am I missing
>> something?
>
> (possibly embedded in the test source).

Damn - another good idea. This would resolve the problem I had before when
I tried this which was related to maintaining other files, etc. Its not
clear how
easy this would work for binary files.

Its clear that it would be a good thing to add to test a group of files
serialized with
every version of boost so that one could include tests for backward
compatibility
automatically. However, looks like a fair bit of effort to setup - but
still - would
be very useful.

Robert Ramey