From: Mojmir Svoboda (mojmir.svoboda_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-09 05:11:31

Morning',

* Boris <boriss_at_[hidden]> [2008-06-07 13:31:00 +0200]:

> there is another candidate of what might become an official Boost logging
> library one day:
> http://torjo.com/log2/doc/html/index.html

yes, i know of that one... though i have to look closely on the implementation,
because most of the features will be the same.

> You might want to check the logging requirements and also have a look at

well i am aware of most of the requirements and i think i can deliver
them. the question is whether it is worth it, because John's library is
good enough already perhaps.

this 'going public' thingy is not really 'i do want write logging
library right here right now' but more like 'heey, i have this in my
drawer and i can make it better than the first version, but does
anybody want it?' because i can surely find myself another toy elsewhere.

> Windows Event Tracing and Event Logging for some more ideas (as ideally

i don't know anything windows tracing yet, but i know xbox360 one: simple api
with lockfree mechanisms (XLFStartLog etc ). I like that.

> the logging library provides some support for whatever logging standard is
> used on a platform).

this is not my priority right now. now i am working with something
called buffer manager and something called sink. buffer manager gives me
space to write (if any.. of course message will be dropped if there is
not) and sink takes ownership of full buffer and does something very
blackboxish then: there could be a stdout, stderr, socket with low
priority thread, small black hole or a hidden schrodinger's cat
reading and not reading the messages at the same time ;)

Regards,
Mojmir