From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-26 14:52:48

Bijan wrote:
> What would happen when a linked application to a shared memory terminates
> abnormally while it is in the middle of memory allocation or any other
> structural changes? I guess it could corrupt the whole shared memory and also
> stability of the other linked applications.

Yes. Basically the same that you have when a process writing to a file dies.

> Some shared-memory based databases like TimesTen have a mechanism called
> MicroLogging to protect integrity of the shared memory.
> Here is a quote from Oracle TimesTen:
> "Oracle TimesTen protects its shared libraries against application process
> failures by means of its patented “MicroLogging” algorithm. Consequently, the
> abnormal termination of a linked application will not affect Oracle TimesTen
> IMDB's and even other related applications."

Interesting. I don't know how they do this, but surely this can be
achieved with a layer above Interprocess. Sadly I have no time to
implement something like this for the moment, but if someone can give me
some ideas, I'll try to investigate it to see how complex the solution
can be.

Regards,

Ion