From: Bijan (Bijan.Nazem_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-26 17:05:40

Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Bijan wrote:
> > What would happen when a linked application to a shared memory terminates
> > abnormally while it is in the middle of memory allocation or any other
> > structural changes? I guess it could corrupt the whole shared memory and also
> > stability of the other linked applications.
>
> Yes. Basically the same that you have when a process writing to a file dies.
>
> > Some shared-memory based databases like TimesTen have a mechanism called
> > MicroLogging to protect integrity of the shared memory.
> > Here is a quote from Oracle TimesTen:
> > "Oracle TimesTen protects its shared libraries against application process
> > failures by means of its patented “MicroLogging” algorithm. Consequently, the
> > abnormal termination of a linked application will not affect Oracle TimesTen
> > IMDB's and even other related applications."
>
> Interesting. I don't know how they do this, but surely this can be
> achieved with a layer above Interprocess. Sadly I have no time to
> implement something like this for the moment, but if someone can give me
> some ideas, I'll try to investigate it to see how complex the solution
> can be.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ion

Ion,

I guess at least the memory allocation layer which is the lowest layer should be
transactional.
Here are some info that I found:
DracoSTM: A Practical C++ Approach to Software Transactional
Memory
http://lcsd.cs.tamu.edu/2007/final/5/5_Paper.pdf

Transactional Memory by Jim Larus (Author), Ravi Rajwar (Author), Mark D. Hill
http://www.amazon.ca/Transactional-Memory-Jim-Larus/dp/1598291246/ref=sr_11_1/702-7387355-6996836?ie=UTF8&qid=1214514245&sr=11-1

Regards,
Bijan