From: Dan Katz (dakatz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-08 15:30:15

On 8 Jul 2008, dakatz_at_[hidden] wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2008, dave_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
>>> boost_1_35_0$ ./configure --with-toolset=gcc-3.3 --prefix=./BUILT
>>
>> Looks good to me.
>>
>>> Building Boost.Jam with toolset gcc-3.3... ./configure:
>>> ./bootstrap/jam0: No such file or directory tools/jam/src//bjam
>>
>> Urr. Looks like the procedure for building Boost.Jam is using a
>> Boost.Build toolset name. They are distinct sets. Doug?
>>
> [...]
>>
>> You got the command right; there's a bug in the configure script.
>>
>> Try changing the line in ./configure that reads
>>
>> # Determine the toolset, if not already decided
>> if test "x$TOOLSET" = x; then
>>
>> so that it reads:
>>
>> # Determine the toolset, if not already decided
>> if test "x$TOOLSET" != y; then
>>
>> This is a hack, but it will build bjam with your system compiler no
>> matter which toolset you've requested for your Boost build. That
>> should be fine.
>

> So I made the change to the configure script that you suggested and
> then ran it. Things seemed to work okay at first but soon went awry:
>
> ------------------------------------
> $ ./configure --with-toolset=gcc-3.3 --prefix=./BUILT
> Building Boost.Jam with toolset gcc... tools/jam/src/bin.linuxx86/bjam
> Detecting Python version... 2.2
> Detecting Python root... /usr
> Unicode/ICU support for Boost.Regex?... not found.
> Backing up existing Boost.Build configuration in user-config.jam.1
> Generating Boost.Build configuration in user-config.jam...
> Generating Makefile...

I took a look at the generated user-config.jam and found this:

------------------------------------
# Boost.Build Configuration
# Automatically generated by Boost configure

# Compiler configuration
using gcc ;

# Python configuration
using python : 2.2 : /usr ;

If I understand correctly, this means that boost will now be built with
gcc (which is gcc-2.95) rather than the specified gcc-3.3.

I imagine that I could fix this by going beyond the quick hack you
described above and separating the toolsets for Boost.Jam and for
Boost.Build in the configure script (perhaps introducing a TOOLSET_JAM
variable or something). Is this the right way to go?

Dan