From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-09 02:52:31

Richard Hadsell wrote:

> Dan Katz wrote:
>> I took a look at the generated user-config.jam and found this:
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>> # Boost.Build Configuration
>> # Automatically generated by Boost configure
>>
>> # Compiler configuration
>> using gcc ;
>>
>> # Python configuration
>> using python : 2.2 : /usr ;
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> If I understand correctly, this means that boost will now be built with
>> gcc (which is gcc-2.95) rather than the specified gcc-3.3.
>>

>> I imagine that I could fix this by going beyond the quick hack you
>> described above and separating the toolsets for Boost.Jam and for
>> Boost.Build in the configure script (perhaps introducing a TOOLSET_JAM
>> variable or something). Is this the right way to go?
>>
> It's the way I use a non-default compiler:
>
> # Compiler configuration
> using gcc : 3.4.4 : /opt/gcc344/bin/g++344 : <compileflags>-fPIC <linkflags>-fPIC ;
>
> You may not need the flags, but the version number and path to g++ are
> probably necessary.

Right, that's what you have to put to user-config.jam (either tools/build/v2/user-config.jam
or ~/user-config.jam). Don't bother with configure,
it falls short whenever you try to do anything non-standard.

It's not apparent if all of Boost will build with any specific compiler version,
if you see any compile error you'd have to examine those individually.

- Volodya