From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-11 12:18:16

damny_at_[hidden] wrote:
> but unlike boost 1.34.1 and bjam 3.1.15 [*] i get a lot of *.LIBs instead of *.A-files.

Indeed the default on Windows is the LIB convention.
>From the gcc.jam file:
> # Target naming is determined by types/lib.jam and the settings below this
> # comment.
> #
> # On *nix:
> # libxxx.a static library
> # libxxx.so shared library
> #
> # On windows (mingw):
> # libxxx.lib static library
> # xxx.dll DLL
> # xxx.lib import library
> #
> # On windows (cygwin) i.e. <target-os>cygwin
> # libxxx.a static library
> # xxx.dll DLL
> # libxxx.dll.a import library
> #
> # Note: user can always override by using the <tag>@rule
> # This settings have been choosen, so that mingw
> # is in line with msvc naming conventions. For
> # cygwin the cygwin naming convention has been choosen.

If you are compiling boost libraries 'user' means the root jamfile of boost.

> is there a new/different library naming than this described in
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/more/getting_started/windows.html#library-naming ?

Hmm, I just reviewed it. And as I read it lib naming is exactly as
stated. Could it be that you haven't seen:
"On Windows, only ordinary static libraries use the lib prefix"

Or are you thinking mingw is not windows?

Btw.: there is now problem with the *.lib naming. The mingw linker is
happy to work with them. The set of names has been carefully choosen
to interoperate with the *.a schemes. So you should be able to mix.

Do you encounter a specific problem besides something being different
than expected?

  _  _  | Roland Schwarz
 |_)(_  | aka. speedsnail
________| http://www.blackspace.at