From: John Femiani (JOHN.FEMIANI_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-11 13:40:16

Rolad Schwarz wrote:

> Btw.: there is now problem with the *.lib naming. The mingw
> linker is happy to work with them. The set of names has been
> carefully choosen to interoperate with the *.a schemes. So
> you should be able to mix.
>
> Do you encounter a specific problem besides something being
> different than expected?

There is a problem, because -lboost_xyz links with the dll import
library boost_xyz.lib instead of libboost_xyz.lib. Sure, there is a way
around it, but it requires an extra change to build on windows. It is a
headache and I wish boost would compile the mingw libraries with a .a
extension. It is particularly tricky to work around this one if you use
SCons as a build system, since it incorrectly tries to demangle the
library names,

NOTE TO SCONS USERS:
Use LIBS=['liblibboost_xyz'] when linking with boost, since scons strips
the first lib prefix.

Another option would be if static libraries would not include the 'lib'
prefix on windows so that the mingw linker did not get confused. (This
means the dll import library filenames would need different stems)

--John