From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-12 04:51:44

damny_at_[hidden] wrote:

> hi volodya and all others,
>
> thanks for your responses.
>
> a)
> but there is one thing i don't understand. why i got libs like
> boost_xyz.a
> boost_xyz.dll
> libboost_xyz.a
> without doing any rename while builing boost 1.34.1 with bjam 3.1.15?

Because behaviour was changed to what is considered better one.

> b)
> why the -s options have no effect? version "-sPYTHON_VERSION=2.5" of desired python and
> libpython25.a in "-sPYTHON_ROOT=%PYTHN%" (...\lib) is found by bjam. finally it compiles and works
> well (boost 1.34.1 with bjam 3.1.15 and nearly identical BAT-file). aside from this,
> http://www.boost.org/doc/tools/build/doc/html/jam/usage.html says
>
> -s var=value
> set the variable var to value, overriding both internal variables and variables imported
> from the environment.
>
> Command-line and Environment Variable Quoting
> ... Boost Jam remedies that by treating all such settings as a single string if they are
> surrounded by double-quotes. ... (all surrounding by me, and not only the value part)

While -s option behave as documented, setting variable named PYTHON_VERSION does not affect
anything, since Boost 1.34, I believe. In Boost.Build V2, instead of configuring everything
on the command line, you can just put those configurations in user-config.jam

- Volodya