From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-12 04:55:30

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> John Femiani wrote:
>
>> NOTE TO SCONS USERS:
>> Use LIBS=['liblibboost_xyz'] when linking with boost, since scons strips
>> the first lib prefix.
>
> Cool :-)

How do you specify if you want the static or the dynamic lib then?

>> Another option would be if static libraries would not include the 'lib'
>> prefix on windows so that the mingw linker did not get confused. (This
>> means the dll import library filenames would need different stems)
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure I like this option.

Me too.

Btw.: there _is_ another option for naming with the mingw ld resulting
in strange looking names like: libxxx.dll.a and the like.

While it would be possible to come up with such a scheme I doubt it
will make things easier.

The main confusion I can see comes from the fact that for gcc people
the windows (msvc) naming scheme looks strange. But on the other hand
mingw _is_ a windows compiler, and I think mingw people are trying
hard to be as compatible as possible with the windows intricacies.
I feel boost-build should not defeat this, rather support it.

If one really wants *nix names he/she should consider using cygwin
as an environment.

I still doubt the current naming scheme poses real hindrances. I will be
glad to comment on a concrete example. And of course if you can prove
me wrong, change my mind accordingly.

Roland

  _  _  | Roland Schwarz
 |_)(_  | aka. speedsnail