From: John C. Femiani (john.femiani_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-07 09:29:52

joel falcou wrote:
> Beware that running ''some tests'' on arbitrary large array of any kind
> must take into account the fact that you may induces cache misses

<snip>
> I actually wrote a thesis on the subject and still struggle to get
> a decent library out of all my experiments.There is some prototype of it
> but it's nowhere completed (NT2 on sourceforge for reference) in which I
> use Epression tempalte to evaluates at compile time a somewhat optimal
> tiling size. If needed I can reinject my experiments results here so we
> can all brainstorm about this but I think the problem of "easy-to-use
> and good performances" numeric data container is not easy and not
> currently addressed anywhere

I think BLITZ++ used to have some very good performance comparisons with
Fortran IIRC. (What ever happend to BLITZ++? Is it dead?)

I understood the thread to be about doing the same operation on the same
data, using multi_array versus doing the pointer arithmetic yourself.

I am actually interested about the iterators performance in multi-array
too, since their iterators seem to just wrap indexes. That _seems_ like
it would be bad, but Idunno.

--John