From: Emil Dotchevski (emil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-13 14:23:33

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>> A small piece of Boost Exception is integrated in
>> boost::throw_exception, so any Boost library that throws exceptions
>> introduces this dependency by default.
>>
>> To disable the Boost Exception integration in boost::throw_exception,
>> #define BOOST_EXCEPTION_DISABLE. Because Boost Exception requires
>> RTTI, #defining BOOST_NO_TYPEID has the same effect.
>
> Hmmm, so how does Boost exception behave on systems
> which don't support RTTI?
>
> That is, can one assume that it's functionality will degrade gracefully in
> environments where RTTI is not supported?

It depends what you mean by degrade gracefully, but I suppose the
answer is "no". As it is now, RTTI is required by Boost Exception. It
is possible be more selective in disabling just the parts of Boost
Exception that actually use typeid, but this is not done in 1.36.

Isn't this a rare configuration anyway, that disables RTTI but enables
exceptions? I mean, some form of RTTI is needed for exception handling
anyway so it's not completely turned off as long as exceptions are
enabled.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.