From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-13 17:32:48

Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>>> A small piece of Boost Exception is integrated in
>>> boost::throw_exception, so any Boost library that throws exceptions
>>> introduces this dependency by default.
>>>
>>> To disable the Boost Exception integration in
>>> boost::throw_exception, #define BOOST_EXCEPTION_DISABLE. Because
>>> Boost Exception requires RTTI, #defining BOOST_NO_TYPEID has the
>>> same effect.
>>
>> Hmmm, so how does Boost exception behave on systems
>> which don't support RTTI?
>>
>> That is, can one assume that it's functionality will degrade
>> gracefully in environments where RTTI is not supported?
>
> It depends what you mean by degrade gracefully, but I suppose the
> answer is "no". As it is now, RTTI is required by Boost Exception. It
> is possible be more selective in disabling just the parts of Boost
> Exception that actually use typeid, but this is not done in 1.36.
>
> Isn't this a rare configuration anyway,

Why does it matter whether its rare or not?

>that disables RTTI but enables
> exceptions? I mean, some form of RTTI is needed for exception handling
> anyway

I don't see this, could you expand up this?

> so it's not completely turned off as long as exceptions are enabled.

what's not completely turned off? RTTI?. what does "completely"
mean here? If I understand correctly, the "old" exception didn't
require this - now all programs which which don't use RTTI
but use Boost Exception are now broken. Am I wrong here?