From: Emil Dotchevski (emil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-14 15:18:03

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>> I guess the confusion stems from the name of the
>> BOOST_EXCEPTION_DISABLE define. Unfortunately it's too late to rename
>> it in time for the 1.36 release.
>
> I understand that. Can it be adjusted in the next version so that the new
> features the require
> RTTI are enabled only if BOOST_NO_RTTI is not defined but that
> it still works for the rest of us. Or do we have to sprinkle our own
> #ifdef .. through our our code? Or now make our own private copy
> of boost::exception to fix this?

Boost Exception has two main components:

- The ability to transport arbitrary data to the catch site, as
demonstrated here:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/exception/doc/tutorial_transporting_data.html.
This requires RTTI.

- The ability to transport exceptions between threads, as explained
here: http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/exception/doc/tutorial_exception_ptr.html.
In principle, this does not require RTTI but at this time it can not
be enabled independently. This can be fixed in a future release.

Does this answer your question?

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.