From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-17 21:28:23

Olaf Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on studying the boost's files I found in convenience_test.cpp this
> statement:
>
> BOOST_CHECK( fs::extension("a/") == "." );
>
> Why this? IMO it's not clear why this should be correct.

It follows from the POSIX Pathname Resolution spec (4.11):

"A pathname that contains at least one non-slash character and that ends
with one or more trailing slashes shall be resolved as if a single dot
character ( '.' ) were appended to the pathname."

IIRC, Windows operates the same way

> This means that
> a leaf path has a file extension. On directory's view this is not equal
> to the current dir notation.

Not sure I understand your point. Could you clarify with an example?

> Thanks,
> Olaf
>
> BTW, what about the support on hard- and softlinks mentioned in this
> list some times ago?

Hard links have been supported for quite a while. Symlink creation work
is stalled because of other commitments. May be ready for the next
release, at least for files. For directory support on Windows, there are
some really tricky issues that have bogged work down.

--Beman