From: Ákos Maróy (akos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-26 08:44:34

Christian,

> I like your style of critics. Always put a reference to your opinion
> so it gets more weight. However I do not agree with everything you
> write.

We don't have to :) But it's good to see the point of other people as
well :)

> Sure! I'm curious how you changed my code, send it right over please!
> :) Especially the right-shifting issue caught my interest! Do you
> have examples where right shifting does not repeat the sign bit? Let
> me see how you solved it.

please see the sources attached.

as for the right-shifting, I only tried it on intel-based CPUs, so of
course here it always works the same. but the C++ is quite clear:
right-shifting signed values is implementation dependent, regarding the
fill bit on the left, so one shouldn't count on it :)

Akos