From: Ralf Globisch (RGlobisch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-03 03:42:15

Hi,
I haven't been able to find much information on this, I hope someone can help me:
I've only recently started using boost. I finally finished writing an application on my development machine.
- Windows XP with Service pack 2
- Application developed in native C++ using MS VS2005
- Boost version 1.35, multithreaded, dynamically linked, installed boost using the installer from boost computing

I then tried to deploy a release version of the application and the ms vc runtime redistributables to a test machine running a clean XP install and my application failed to run.
The test machine also has XP Service Pack 2 installed.

1) To isolate the problem I then decided to start from scratch with a "Hello World" console application . Deployed it on the test machine and it ran fine.

2) Extended the console app to print out the current time using boost date time.
Linked in boost dynamically by specifying BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK.
Deployed this on the server, received a "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002) Click on OK to terminate the application" popup.

3) Rebuilt the application by changing the application to use a static runtime ( /MT instead of /MD ) Added the preprocessor directive BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB so that I could link to the static boost lib.
Deployed the application on the server and it ran.

4) I then had a look at the dynamic boost release system DLL using depends.exe on the test machine:
Strangely only the signal and the system DLL give the following error message:
Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\rtvc\bin\BOOST_SYSTEM-VC80-MT-1_35.DLL" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).

The thread, date time, etc dlls are fine. However the signal and system dll are fine on my development machine.
Has anyone encountered similar problems?

Thanks,
Ralf