Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Documentation about design and implementation
From: Robert Jones (robertgbjones_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-14 13:53:19

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Kartik Mahajan
<kartik.mahajan_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Is some documentation related to implementation of the library available ? I
> guess no ? Do we just have to comprehend by reading the code ?

Hi Kartik

Without wishing to sound unhelpful, the quick answer to this is "Yes",
you do just comprehend
by reading the code!

Having said that, if you have specific questions about why things are
done a certain way
in a certain library, most library authors are very helpful and
willing to explain.

Ultimately however, the Boost libraries are about developing
high-quality, peer reviewed
libraries, and not about coaching or mentoring. I would suggest simply
using a few
of the libraries, thinking about their design, considering
alternatives, considering
how you might have approached the design, and comparing it with what the authors
actually did. There is huge value to be gained from the libraries,
both using them and
understanding them, but it is not always easily accessable.

HTH.

- Rob.

--
ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org