Subject: [Boost-users] Documentation about design and implementation
From: Kartik Mahajan (kartik.mahajan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-13 05:59:02

Hi

I have recently installed Boost 1.36. I am right now experimenting with the
Boost.thread library primarily for the purpose of learning and I am trying
to use them in the project I am working. I also wish to learn to use asio
and interprocess libraries in near future.

I have gone through the documentation about how to use the thread library,
but I guess there is nothing mentioned about its design and implementation.

The only reason I am interested in some documentation related to its design
and implementation is purely for learning purpose. As Boost libraries are
designed mostly by experts, I would like to broaden my horizons "on how to
design". I would not like to be just a user of such expertly designed
libraries and would like to learn the ins of designing. Also going through
the code would I guess improve my skills.

I did read some include files and also installed cscope on my linux box so
that I can go through code easily but its too hard for me to comprehend why
the things ie code is written the way it is.

Is some documentation related to implementation of the library available ? I
guess no ? Do we just have to comprehend by reading the code ?

Are there some tips for reading the code ( I am even unable to find which
file to start from, I am still a newbie )

I just need some tips and guidance.

Thanks & Regards

Kartik Mahajan