Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Whatever happened to singleton class?
From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-15 17:53:56

Hi!

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Kurt Kohler <kohler_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Back in January, the review of Tobias Schwinger's singleton package
> resulted in it being rejected. At the time it was stated that a new
> version would be out for review in three months or so. Has anything
> happened since then?
>
> I've been using the class without problems for some time, but I'd feel
> more comfortable if it was an official part of boost.

I remember Tobias stating that he invested to much time in it and he does
not know, when he is going to finish the approache.
I participated the review and gave to the lib my "yes" vote, but after using
it in a project and facing troubles when users were trying to assign a
singleton pointer to a global variable and that resulted in initialization
problems for singleton itself (it was constructed twice) I would not
encourage to use it, unless i passes the review.

We end up removing the singleton from our source and implementing a new one.

With Kind Regards,
Ovanes