Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Updating my local boost.
From: Jonathan Franklin (franklin.jonathan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-19 11:28:13

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 4:25 AM, Robert Jones <robertgbjones_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> My organisation maintains its boost libraries under its own Subversion
> repository.
> This strikes me as a bit odd, but no reason really why not AFAICS.

Not really all that odd IMO. :-)

> However, the
> version in our repository is 1.33.1, and I'd like to upgrade to latest
> 1.36 release.
> Our network prevents me accessing the Boost subversion repository, so I
> have
> to download the tarball and unpack.
>
> Then what do I do?

I do this periodically at work with our repository of external packages.
Basically I do something like the following:
1. Generate a diff between the old and new version, and capture the output.
2. Use the output to generate a script that will 'svn rm' any files that are
in the old version, but not the new version.
3. Copy the new version in place of the old version, overwriting any files
that already exist.
4. 'svn add' anything that isn't under version control. You can get a list
by executing the following command:
  svn status | grep ^? | cut -c8-
5. Commit the entire change set.

It usually takes more time to commit the changes than to make them.
;-)

Perhaps there are better ways, for which I am all ears.

Jon