Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Updating my local boost.
From: KSpam (keesling_spam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-19 12:14:35

Rob,

On Friday 19 September 2008 03:25:54 Robert Jones wrote:
> Then what do I do? I basically want to overwrite our existing boost code
> with the newer code, but maintain our local edit history so we can see
> what's changed locally between our old boost code and new. Hence there are
> lots of additions, changes and deletions, all of which I want to be able
> see (that's see the differences
> between our old code and new code, not all the individual boost commits).
> How can I do this?

I like to keep the third party libraries in their own versioned directories.
For instance, I would put Boost 1.33.1 in a directory named boost_1_33_1, and
I would use boost_1_36_0 for Boost 1.36.0. It should mostly be a simple
change in your build system in order to switch from the boost_1_33_1 to the
boost_1_36_0 directory. Additionally, this approach allows you to keep both
versions of boost in your repository until you are confident that it is time
to deprecate the older version.

I personally only cared to track changes between the Boost official release
and the version in the repository. If you *really* want to track changes
between two different modified Boost versions in your repository (there will
be a TON of changes between 1.33.1 and 1.36.0), then you could use "svn cp"
to copy the entire boost_1_33_1 tree to boost_1_36_0 and then merge the
latest Boost 1.36.0 in. "svn cp" keeps the history. Of course, if you are
not using Subversion, "svn cp" is useless. CVS does not have an option to
keep the history during a copy.

Hope This Helps,
Justin