Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Logging library
From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-25 12:02:25

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:46:55 +0200, Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Boris wrote:
>> What's nice about the Poco library (I just had a quick look at the
>> documentation) that it seems to support various platform-specific
>> logging facilities. That would be another strong reason for me to use a
>> logging library instead of simply writing messages to a file myself.
>
> Poco also has filters, splitters (for sending one message to various
> sinks),

As Andrey's library uses attributes to route messages filtering and
splitting works, too. Every sink decides itself if a message should be
logged by looking at attributes and checking their values. That way if you
want to save more messages to file A for example you only need to change
the configuration of the respective sink and don't need to go over your
entire code base to log messages to file A everywhere.

> log rotation with optional compression,

There is
http://boost-log.sourceforge.net/libs/log/doc/html/header/boost/log/utility/rotating_ofstream/hpp.html
but it doesn't support compression I think.

> asynchronous logging and

This could help you:
http://boost-log.sourceforge.net/libs/log/doc/html/header/boost/log/sinks/threading_models/hpp.html

> [...]I'd love to have that functionality "boostified" :-)

I'm glad to see that I could find those features you mentioned in Andrey's
logging library. It looks like it's pretty much usable then. :) As I said
the only feature I miss is support for platform-specific logging
facilities (there is only syslog support currently; see
http://boost-log.sourceforge.net/libs/log/doc/html/header/boost/log/sinks/syslog_backend/hpp.html).
I also think it could be easier to adapt and extend (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/179360/).

Boris