Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Phoenix] review reminder
From: Zeljko Vrba (zvrba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-30 02:12:57

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 03:46:20AM +0200, Klaus Backert wrote:
> >you would have seen that the library is dedicated to Joel's (passed
> >away)
> >daughter Phoenix.
>
> And your point is ...?

Show some respect. Joel is giving away *for free* several great libraries, so
he should at least have the freedom to name them as he likes. Especially when
the name is not arbitrary.

> Instead of "Phoenix" use "Functional Programming"! And why? Because

No, that would be the wrong name because the library does not provide the tools
one expects from a functional programming language -- cons lists, huge library
of algorithms for list manipulation (see Haskell's standard prelude), pattern
matching, etc. The closest "meaningful" name would be "Lazy Functions", but
hey, if you don't already have the necessary background, it's again
meaningless! Abstract name forces you at least to read the introduction to a
library.

==

Now, to become more on topic: the manual states "Phoenix version 2, this
version, will probably be the last release of the library. Phoenix v2 will be
the basis of the Phoenix and BLL merger."

Another fact: Phoenix2 *is* already accepted into boost as part of Spirit;
bringing it out to the top level is nothing but a minor structural change..

So I'm forced to ask: why was Phoenix even submitted "for acceptance" when 1)
it is already 'accepted', and 2) Joel states that it has reached the end of
development?