Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Phoenix] review reminder
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-30 02:57:22

Zeljko Vrba wrote:

> Now, to become more on topic: the manual states "Phoenix version 2, this
> version, will probably be the last release of the library. Phoenix v2 will be
> the basis of the Phoenix and BLL merger."
>
> Another fact: Phoenix2 *is* already accepted into boost as part of Spirit;
> bringing it out to the top level is nothing but a minor structural change..
>
> So I'm forced to ask: why was Phoenix even submitted "for acceptance" when 1)
> it is already 'accepted', and 2) Joel states that it has reached the end of
> development?

CC'ing the Boost Dev List.

Let me clarify. Phoenix has not reached the end of development.
It's the name that /might/ (if all goes according to plan) cease to
exist when Phoenix becomes Lambda: Yep, that's the plan.

For the first question, when Spirit was reviewed, Phoenix was not part
of the review. It existed only as a sub-library of Spirit.

Thirdly, bringing Phoenix into the top level will not be a minor
structural change. There are several factors that are being deliberated
upon (in the other list). First and foremost is compatibility with
Lambda, Boost.Bind and std::bind, plus of course the current Phoenix V2,
which, to some extent will be forced to break the API for the sake
of the other libraries and to play well in the grand unification.
There's also the possibility of assimilating Boost.Bind (thanks
to Peter for giving the nod) for modern compilers, thus having
only one version of bind for all. Boost.Bind will of course still
continue to exist (it works with more compilers, even old broken
ones like VC6 and Borland 5). Ah, not to mention that there's a
port (by Eric Niebler) of Phoenix to proto that we call Phoenix V3.

Take all these, plus the numerous suggestions, comments, and we
have exciting times ahead of us. I urge you to join in the
(exciting!) discussions happening in the boost dev list.
It's hard to keep track when there are 2 separate lists
involved in the review. I'm trying my best to CC both if
I can.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman