Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Python] rule python-extension unknown
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-09 14:17:11

on Thu Oct 09 2008, "Robert MacHardy" <Robert.MacHardy-AT-vgt.net> wrote:

> Boost Users,
>
> I am trying to build the Hello World python example. When I execute
> bjam I get the “rule python-extension unknown” error. I believe this to be because
> my user-config.jam file is never being used.

It might be. What happens if you add

   import python python-extension ;

at the top of your Jamroot?

> The tutorial states to configure the
> rules in the user-config.jam file in my home directory. My home directory is “C:\
> Documents and Settings\robert.machardy”. I did not find the file there, and this
> does not appear to be the place for jam files. I found the file user-config.jam in
> “C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_36_0\tools\build\v2”, I edited it and copied to my
> home directory. I configured it for the following:
>
> # Configure specific msvc version (searched for in standard locations and PATH).
>
> using msvc : 7.1 ;
>
> using python : 2.6 : C:\Program Files\Python26;

You need quotes around the path to python, and you either need to double
the backslashes, or simply use forward slashes.

   using python : 2.6 : "C:/Program Files/Python26"

would be correct, although to be frank you probably don't need that line
at all; Boost.Build's autoconfig should take care of it for you.

If that works out for you, try undoing the change I suggested at the
top; the less cruft, the better ;-)

HTH,

--
Dave Abrahams