Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Factory pattern ?
From: Maik Beckmann (beckmann.maik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-21 06:03:34

2008/10/21 Jeremy Pack <rostovpack_at_[hidden]>:
> Oliver,
> It depends on what you need the factories to do. Could you describe your use
> case in more detail?
> Boost.Extension is for using factories to create objects of classes declared
> in shared libraries.
> Jeremy Pack

Hi Jeremy,

During the last weeks I've spend some hour on boost.extension.

Organizing factories is what boost.extension is all about at the
moment. But I think means for portable loading of DSO (Dynamic Shared
Objects) are worth a project on its own. Consider this structure
  - boost.dso
    - portable dlopen
    - convenience classes for resource handling
  - boost.extension
    - factory pattern
    - reflection pattern

boost.dso will IMHO be suitable for many developers out there having
their own factories running, but like to have a well tested and
portable dlopen (aka. LoadLibrary on MS Windows). Providing this
needs a heavy testing harness which will take a notable amount of
developer time.

boost.extension itself can concentrate on how to plug and organize
loaded code into an application.

What do you think?

-- Maik